Wednesday, April 27, 2011

IF on the brain!

I was filling out visa paperwork for a client today and look what the security code was:


I swear, I can't get away from IF!  LOL

In other news, I started Lupron today.  Stopping BCP's next week, then the fun begins.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Bargain basement FET

I'm absolutely floored by how "cheap" this FET is compared to the fresh cycle.  The clinic sent me a quote of $1441.39 for the transfer (including thawing, culture, ultrasound and transfer).  I got my meds yesterday and they were only $79!  I guess all the Follistim and Menopur and other non-covered drugs add up on a fresh cycle.  Even if we don't end up with a take home baby, our wallets will get a break this cycle. 

Monday, April 18, 2011

FET schedule

The FET is officially on the books.  Schedule is as follows:

4/14 - Started BCP's
4/27 - Start Lupron
5/8 - Stop BCP / wait for period
Then comes a super complicated calendar of estrace / Lupron and patches
5/31 - Transfer date
6/9 (Approx) - Beta day

Maybe we'll have some good luck, finally!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Decision: made

We thought about it over the weekend and have decided to go ahead with the FET.  If this one doesn't work, we'll decide whether to switch clinics.  I'll be starting BCP's in a few days.  We are telling NO ONE in real life, not even our parents.  (If anyone I know IRL reads this please keep mum).  Transfer will be some time in May.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Finally saw the doctor...

We finally had the follow-up consultation with the RE today.  It only took a whole month after the IVF failure. *sarcasm*  My questions and his answers were as follows:

Why is their FET success rate so low?  (In 2009 it was only 18%).

Answer: Doc said that they had some issues with the lab which have now been resolved - something to do with chemicals seeping over from a neighboring office unit (!!!)  He also says that they have taken some "borderline" cases, I guess meaning women who have a low chance of success, which other clinics don't take.  With frozen transfers, it doesn't really matter who does the transfer, but rather the embryo quality and how they were frozen.  I've also heard this from another doctor.

What's my AMH level?

Answer: They've never checked.  They find that FSH is a better indicator of egg quality, while AMH reflects merely the quantity of eggs.

I asked if maybe my polyp has come back.  Maybe there's something wrong with my uterus preventing implantation?

Answer:  Sonohysterogram done in January indicated that there is nothing in there.  The embryo makes its own environment, so as long as the lining measures OK, there should be an implantation problem unless there's a problem with the embryo.

Were my embryos good quality?

Answer:  Yes, they wouldn't have been frozen if they were not.  I have 4 5-day frosties and 1 6-day.  (I thought it was the reverse).  They'll freeze and transfer 2.  If one of the 2 doesn't survive the thaw, then they'll thaw another one.

The doctor was very sympathetic of our situation and said that above all, they want us to succeed.  They encouraged me to seek a second opinion.  Now I need to decide whether to start the FET cycle right away or get another opinion and maybe switch clinics.  Time is of the essence, as AF is (over)due and if I get it in the next few days, I'll have to start BCP's.  Bunny wants to stick with the clinic and start right away.  I'll think about it and decide in the next few days.  What do you guys think?